Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake � Now with More Crumbs

I�m sure I�ve said it here before, but I�m not a big cake guy. I�ll take a few bites at a wedding for appearances, and of course on a birthday, since that�s what you do, but besides that, cake is none of my business. However, one big exception would be the crumby goodness that is pecan sour cream coffee cake. 

As I mention in the video, the best part of a coffee cake is the crispy, crunchy, buttery crumbs; so we significantly upped the amounts used. I�m not sure why everyone doesn�t do this�maybe their health? Regardless, it creates what I think is the �ultimate� coffee cake experience.

One tip for placing on the second layer of batter: You can use a piping bag to squeeze an even layer, and then touch it up with a spatula. Having said that, as you saw in the clip, even if you spread by hand, and mix in a few nuts, it still comes out beautifully.

This recipe is really foolproof, but mind your baking time. I used an 8� x 12� cast iron casserole dish, and it took about 35 minutes, but times will vary for glass dishes, as well as for slightly larger dishes, like the classic 9� x 13.� I�d start checking around 30 minutes, and go from there. I really hope you give this extra crumby coffee cake a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 8 to 12 portions:

For the crumb:
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt

For the cake:
1/2 cup room temperature butter
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream or cr�me fraiche
1 7/8 cups all-purpose flour (Almost 2 cups. Do not pack cups. Spoon in gently.)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.