Cantaloupe Cayenne Sorbet � Hot and Cold

I think this is the first video in the history of Food Wishes to contain the word �Cayenne� in the title, and we have Humphry Slocombeto thank for that.

Humphry Slocombe is one of San Francisco�s top ice cream makers, and certainly its most creative; so when I saw something called, �Cantaloupe Cayenne Sorbet,� on their menu board, I knew I had to get the recipe.

My plan was to find out where their employees drink after work, buy a few rounds of shots (Jagermeister, of course), and somehow get it out of one of them. Unfortunately, I discovered the recipe had been published all over the Internet, so I never did get to do the shots thing, but the point is I found the recipe.

The vodka in this is optional, but I think it makes for a better sorbet. As anyone who has a bottle in the freezer can tell you, vodka doesn�t freeze like water does, so it helps create a smoother texture, or so they say. And by �they,� I mean Alton Brown, who was first person I saw do this. Whether you use the booze or not, I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes just over a quart of Cantaloupe Cayenne Sorbet:
*Recipe slightly adapted from one found in Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream Book 
1 1/2 pounds peeled, seeded cantaloupe or any sweet, ripe melon (about 4 1/2 cups packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons vodka
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (this was pretty spicy, so add less if you�re scared)