How to Make Sushi Rice That Even Works for Sushi

I don�t make sushi at home very often, or ever, since we�re surrounded by top-notch sushi chefs here in San Francisco, but that doesn�t mean I don�t make sushi rice. I think sushi rice makes a perfect side dish for just about any grilled meat, and since it�s perfectly fine at room temperature, it�s great for picnics.

You can even turn it into some quick tortilla-less tacos using nori seaweed wraps, as seen in the video. They make for such a unique summer meal � the perfect delivery system for any and all leftovers. I even seen it rolled into balls, and tossed in toasted sesame seeds, or seaweed, and served like truffles.

What I�m trying to say is, you can do a lot with this stuff. Including sushi. There are thousands of videos on YouTube showing how to make literally every type of sushi in existence, so check those out if you�re so inclined. Maybe one of these days I�ll even give it a go, if only for the �constructive criticism.�  I really hope you give this sushi rice technique a try soon.  Enjoy!


2 cups sushi rice, rinsed well, and left to dry for one hour
2 1/4 cups water
1/4 to 1/3 cup seasoned *rice vinegar, or to taste

* I buy mine already seasoned, but to make your own seasoned rice vinegar; combine:
1 cup rice vinegar, or cider vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons kosher salt